The first treatment that you are likely to try is a strong antiperspirant that can only be obtained from pharmacies or on prescription. It usually contains between 5% and 20% aluminium chloride and works by plugging up pores so the sweat cannot emerge onto the skin. Prescription antiperspirants are usually used under the arms but many people also use them on the hands, feet and chest, although they may not be as effective on these areas.

Antiperspirants must be frequently reapplied and some people find that they have a negative reaction, causing the skin to become dry or irritated. However, many sufferers find that they can manage their excessive sweating using this treatment which is why it is usually the first option to be recommended.

If you find that specialist prescription antiperspirants don’t work or cause irritation, your GP may then refer you to a dermatologist so that you can be informed about further treatment options. These options may be available through the NHS or you may need to consider private treatment.

If you would like to learn more about specialist antiperspirants, visit our forum or take a look at our FAQs.

To find out how to best treat your hyperhidrosis, click on the relevant link below and view our helpful flowcharts:

9 found this helpful